News / Updates
Road construction has Millcreek Canyon Road closed near Wasatch Boulevard.To Detour:
(Revised directions from Airport)
- From Wasatch Blvd, instead of turning east on Milcreek Canyon Road, turn east on E Millcreek Rd (which is about .3 miles north of Millcreek Canyon Rd).
- Follow E Millcreek Rd southeast, keeping right at the Y, about 1/2 a mile to the junction with Millcreek Canyon Rd.
- Turn left (east) on Millcreek Canyon Rd and continue 2.5 miles to Camp Tracy.
Display Board Contest
Show us how you are stepping up your marketing and activities!
- Please preview the Course Schedule to be prepared to select your conference classes.
- Registration Instructions - please read!
- Need to Change your classes or housing?
Scroll to the bottom of the Registration Instructions page for change instructions.
- Note - Registration for optional pre-conference courses is separate from the conference registration.
- Outdoor Ethics Advocates: Council, Area, and District
- Leave No Trace Master Educators and Trainers
- Tread Lightly! Masters and Trainers
- Everyone interested in Outdoor Ethics and taking it back to their council/district/units
- Why? The conference focus will be on:
- Delivering the Outdoor Ethics program in your Councils, working across the multiple levels of our councils (unit, district, council staff and volunteer leadership).
- Information/updates on Outdoor Ethics advancement requirements, Awareness and Action awards, program implementation.
- New science-based studies to support what is being promoted as "best practices".
- Share ideas and get to know other Outdoor Ethics advocates.
- ... and much more.
- Conference Flyer
- This as a National Conference hosted by the BSA Western Region.
- Other Highlights: Meals planned and prepared by nationally-famous "Chef Dan" Saito and his team.
- OE Conference Schedule
- Conference events start Thursday evening, Oct 6 (supper at 5:30, Conference Grand Opening at 7:00pm)
- Conference Ends Saturday evening, Oct 8 (around 8:30pm)
- Conference Check-In will Open at 1:00pm on Thursday. Plan to arrive at Camp Tracy by 5:30pm on Thursday.
- Participants in the pre-conference all-day Hornaday Adviser and Tread Lightly! courses should plan to arrive the evening before their course starts.
- Most non-local participants will probably want to stay at the camp Saturday night and leave Sunday morning.
- OE Task Force members are encouraged to stay for the OE TF meeting on Sunday - contact Dave for schedule.
- At Camp Tracy:
- Shared men's and shared women's cabins w/ bunk beds & pads, space limited
- 10x12 shared tents on platforms w/ cot & pad - FULL
- Tent or Hammock (BYO) sites
- Trailer/Camper/RV parking (small, self-contained, no hookups), space limited
- Nearby: Nearly 100 hotels/motels ($50-$200) within 20 miles (browse map), or ski resorts (30+ miles)
- Home at night - locals
- Bring your own warm bedding if you are sleeping on-site. Cabins have electricity and are heated by a wood-burning stove. Tents have no electricity or heating.
All-inclusive: Conference Program, Meals, Lodging, Conference Patch, performance wicking polo shirt (if registered by Sept 5th), Jump Drive w/ Proceedings, Facility/Support Fees, ...
- $160 (Early-bird registration deadline was Sept 5th)
- + Shared rustic cabins: $20 per person
- + Shared tents w/platform, cots & pads: $10 per person - FULL
- Bring-your-own tent or hammock site: Free
- Parking for trailer, camper or RV (no hookups): Free
- + Optional Tread Master Course: $110
- + Optional Tread Trainer Course: $35
The overall conference program is shaping up:
- Two Keynote addresses.
- General Sessions:
- Updates on BSA OE Program and Futures
- Updates from the Leave No Trace Center, including their Leave No Trace in Every Park program and the 2017 scouting rollout of the Leave No Trace for Every Kid curriculum.
- Update from Tread Lightly!
- Lots of great Technical Sessions to choose from on Friday and Saturday.
- Posters, Displays, Exhibitors and Activities
- More Activities, Demos, and Short Topics Saturday afternoon.
- Representatives from National BSA, Leave No Trace, Tread Lightly! and land management agencies.
- Region Meet and Greet
- Special Interest Group Discussions
- Optional courses before the conference:
- Hornaday Adviser - Wednesday-Thursday (class full)
- Tread Master Trainer courses 1-day Wednesday or Thursday (both classes are full).
- Tread Trainer course Thursday (still space available)
- Plenty of time for networking.
- Door Prizes - cool stuff from various vendors
- ... and more
More Details on Program
(Photo by Loren Smith)
Camp Tracy is the Council Training Center for the Great Salt Lake Council.
The camp is located in Millcreek Canyon, east of Salt Lake City, at an elevation of about 5600'. (Map/Directions)
It has a central Lodge, Taylor Lake, a Frontier Fort, other buildings, cabins and tent sites. It is used primarily as a camp for new scouts.
- Camp Tracy is 22 minutes from Salt Lake City International Airport. (Directions)
- If you indicate on your registration that you are interested in carpooling, from the airport or other parts of the country, we will put you in touch with others.
- Plan some time before or after the conference to see the area.
- Things to Do
Health and Medical Form:
Every participant must submit a copy of his/her current Annual BSA Health and Medical Record, Parts A and B.
(Neither Part C, nor a physician's signature is required.)